The Box of Faded Ribbons (TO BE CONTINUED)
I was never a fan of changes, and the biggest one hit me hard
when Mom and Dad decided to split up. They said it was for the best, but I was
not convinced at all, as nothing felt right about it. They sold our house, and
I moved with Mom to this old, worn-out place she said was all she could afford.
It was a dark, two-story house that looked like it had been sad for a hundred
years. Our new house was old and looked kind of creepy. It was big but in a way
that felt empty rather than roomy. The neighborhood was pretty normal with rows
of houses, kids riding bikes, and people walking dogs. But our house stuck out
like a sore thumb. It was like it carried a gloomy cloud over it.
Mom was tough. She always had a way of making the best out of
bad situations. Even now, she was trying to fix up the house, painting walls,
fixing broken steps, and planting flowers in the front yard. But I could see
the sadness in her eyes when she thought I wasn’t looking.
Mrs. Johnson, our next-door neighbor, was a kind lady. She
would often come over with her daughter Lily to help Mom with the garden. Lily
was my age, and we quickly became friends. She was fun, always finding ways to
make me laugh, even when I didn’t feel like smiling. Then there was Mr. Harper
from across the street. He was a retired cop and kept an eye on the
neighborhood. He was strict but nice, always nodding at us when we passed by
his house. Everyone knew about the "divorce house" as they called it,
but they never treated us weird. They would just look at our house, then at us,
with a sort of pity that made my stomach twist. I wished for things to get
normal, but this house carried a gloom that seemed to darken even the brightest
days.
The first night was the worst. The house made noises I had
never heard before. Each creak sent shivers down my spine, making me miss the
familiar sounds of my old home even more. I tried to sleep, but my mind kept
playing tricks on me. Every shadow seemed to move; every gust of wind whispered
threats. As the few more nights rolled around, my fear had grown into a giant I
couldn’t ignore. I decided to explore the house, hoping that knowing my
surroundings would ease my mind. I started with the attic. The wooden stairs
creaked under my weight as I climbed up, flashlight in my shaky hand. The attic
was filled with forgotten belongings of the previous owners. Old furniture
covered in white sheets looked like ghosts in the dim light.
As days progressed, things got weirder. The whispers of the
wind carried through the old walls like voices speaking in tongues. It was like
the house was trying to tell me something. I tried to brush it off, telling
myself it was just my imagination running wild. But the soft thud from the
attic, sounding in the dead of night, felt like a drumbeat to my growing fear.
I barely slept; every little noise was a scream in the silence. My insomnia was
growing wild, I was on edge. The hours of darkness dragged on, filled with
eerie silences broken only by the occasional creak or rustle. It sounded like
something scurrying in the walls. Probably just mice, I told myself, but my
mind painted a picture of unseen creatures lurking in the shadows.
The following night brought a new terror. Tapping on my window
began, rhythmic and deliberate, like a coded message in the dead of night. I
tried to tell myself it was just a tree branch, but there were no trees close
enough to my window. I lay awake, staring at the ceiling, feeling the fear
curling in my stomach but the taps on the window grew louder, more urgent. I
gathered the courage to look, but there was nothing there. When I returned to
bed. It dawned on me that there could be some answers hidden withing the family
that used to live here within any forgotten belongings they left behind. I
decided to explore the attic, I wasn’t going to sleep any ways and my curiosity
was hitting the ceiling. I climbed through an old wooden ladder and opened the
small ceiling hatch. It was that small box that attracted my attention at the
first sight. It was tucked away in a dusty corner of the attic, almost hidden
behind old, moth-eaten drapes. The box was old and worn, its lock rusted. It
looked like it hadn't been touched in years. My curiosity got the better of me,
and I decided to open it.
I wiped the dust off and pried open the rusty lock with a bit
of effort. As the lock snapped open, I felt a strange mix of excitement and
fear. I slowly lifted the lid, and a musty smell hit me, the scent of old
memories deliberately locked away.
Inside, there was a collection of odd things. There was a
small porcelain doll with a cracked face, its eyes seeming to stare right
through me. A bunch of old letters tied together with a faded ribbon, the paper
yellowed with age. There were also some old photographs, people from another
time staring back at me, their faces serious, almost haunting. As I rummaged
through the box, I found a diary. The pages were brittle, the writing faded,
but I could make out the entries. It was a journal of the lady who lived here
before. As I read through her thoughts, it felt like I was being pulled into
her world. Her fears, her joys, her life in this very house unfolded with each
page I turned. It is strange to think how those who had long passed away still
left live traces of their memories behind, in our world. I began reading and slowly
her words began to paint a picture of strange happenings, eerie noises, and
shadows dancing on the walls just like what I was experiencing. It felt
surreal, reading about her fear while sitting in the same space where she had
once lived. With every word, the room seemed to get colder, the shadows longer.
The following day, I was drinking coffee in the kitchen, the
sun was so bright and warm that it made me feel last night as a distant memory
or a bad dream, yet I couldn’t shake the feeling that the house held secrets,
secrets that were now slowly creeping into my life. The old house wasn’t just a
setting, it felt like a character in my story, its whispers growing louder with
each passing night. As the night approached, that heavy feeling sunk in again. The
wind was really loud, almost like it was angry. The rain was hitting the
windows hard. I was lying in bed, trying to drown out the noises by covering my
ears with my pillow, but it didn’t help much. I was about to drift off to sleep
when I heard it. A loud crash from the attic. It sounded like something heavy
had fallen. I froze for a moment, but then gathered the courage to check it
out. I grabbed my flashlight and slowly made my way up to the attic, each step
on the wooden stairs creaking under my weight. The door to the attic was
slightly open, and the wind was rushing through, making a whistling sound that
sent shivers down my spine.
I pushed the door open, the room was in chaos, old furniture
toppled over, the small box I had found earlier was now open with its contents
scattered all over the floor. I could feel my heart pounding as I stepped
inside. As I was picking up the photos and letters, putting them back into the
box, I heard a whisper, clear and chilling, right next to my ear. “Get out.”
The words were cold and filled with a warning that sent a chill running down my
spine. I spun around, but there was no one there. The room felt colder, the
silence was deafening. I wanted to run but my legs were glued to the spot.
That's when I saw it. In the dim light, a shadow moved across the room. But
there was nothing to cast it.
The reality of what was happening was materializing before my
eyes, the last thing I remember was the room getting darker as if the shadows
were closing in, swallowing everything in their path. And then, everything went
black. (TO BE CONTINUED)

.jpeg)

Comments
Post a Comment