Hell at the Harbor (True story)
By Rameen Batal
My name is Nadia, and I'm a middle-aged librarian from a
coastal town. Dreams have always been my getaway. But this one was unique.
In my dream, I was standing on the pier in our town's harbor,
the salty breeze tangles my hair. Three huge ships sailed serenely in front of
me, each more gorgeous than the last. Their masts soared for the clouds, and
their hulls glittered in the moonlight. But, as I stood there watching, a spark
erupted on the first ship. It was engulfed by flames in a matter of seconds.
The fire quickly moved from one ship to the next, until all three were on fire.
The flames raged, giving an unsettling orange glow, as smoke billowed.
The cries of the crew and the crackling of the burning wood
echoed in my ears. And then, as suddenly as it began, I awoke.
The intensity of the dream left me shaken. I could still smell
the smoke, feel the heat of the flames on my face. I tried to dismiss it as
just a nightmare, a product of some forgotten memory or a story I'd read. But
the vividness of it lingered, making me uneasy.
Days turned into weeks, and life went on. The dream began to
fade, becoming just another story I'd recount to my friends over coffee. But
then, the unthinkable happened.
It was a clear summer day, and the harbor was bustling. A
celebration was underway as three grand ships, part of a global expedition, had
docked at our town for supplies and rest. They were truly a sight to behold,
just as magnificent as in my dream. Families gathered, children played, and
vendors sold their wares, creating a tapestry of joy and excitement.
As the day wore on, I decided to take a closer look at the
ships. As I approached the first ship, a chill ran down my spine. A sense of
déjà vu washed over me. The ships, their positioning, the way the masts touched
the sky—it was all eerily familiar.
Suddenly, a shout broke my reverie. A small fire had started
on the deck of the first ship. Panic ensued as people rushed to douse it, but
the flames were relentless. Fueled by the wooden decks and strong winds, the
fire spread, jumping from one ship to the next, just as I had dreamt.
The harbor, which moments ago was a scene of celebration, was
now one of chaos and despair. The fire brigade was called, and everyone did
their best to combat the flames, but the ships were too far gone. By nightfall,
all that remained were smoldering ruins and a thick cloud of smoke.
The town was in shock. The loss was immense, both in terms of
property and the few lives that were tragically claimed. As the news spread,
people sought answers. How could such a disaster occur on a clear day, with no
apparent cause?
It was then that I shared my dream with the town's elders. At
first, they were skeptical, dismissing it as a mere coincidence. But as I
recounted every detail, matching it with the day's events, they couldn't deny
the uncanny resemblance.
The town was abuzz with whispers. Some called it a prophecy,
others a warning. Some saw me as a seer, while others were wary, believing I
had brought misfortune upon us.
The weight of the dream and its realization weighed heavily on
me. I grappled with guilt, wondering if there was something I could have done
to prevent the tragedy. But as days turned into weeks, and weeks into months,
the town began to heal. The ships were mourned, and the loss was remembered,
but life moved on.
The dream, however, changed me forever. It taught me the
fragility of life and the mysterious ways in which the universe communicates
with us. I became more attuned to my dreams, recording them, seeking patterns,
and trying to decipher their meanings.
The burning ships of the harbor became a legend in our town, a
story passed down through generations. And I, once just a simple librarian,
became a keeper of dreams, listening to the whispers of the night and seeking
the truths hidden within.
.jpeg)

Comments
Post a Comment