The Haunting of Maple Street: My New Home
By Rameen Batal
For a 16-year-old girl like me, Emily Thomson, the idea of moving
to a new home always brings a mix of emotions. My thoughts as I stepped into
the old Victorian house on Maple Street, were blend of excitement and
trepidation. The towering trees, the creaky wooden floors, and the intricate
stained-glass windows were enchanting. Little did I know, but we weren't the
only ones in this house.
Our first night was fine. It was the second night when I came
to feel something was... off! My younger brother, Jake, whispered to me about a
cold breeze in his room. "It feels like it comes from inside me," he
said, eyes wide. Our parents brushed it off as new house nerves, but I had a
gut feeling something was not quite right, but I couldn’t pinpoint what that
was.
The next day, while rummaging through unpacked boxes, I found
an old, worn-out diary. It belonged to a girl named Clara, who had lived in the
house about 100 years ago! As I read her entries, a chilling tale of betrayal,
heartbreak, and a vengeful spirit unfolded. Her fiancée had cheated on her with
her cousin, Madelene, who was like a sister to her. The buildup of lies and
heartache took its toll on her. Clara, in her grief, had summoned a spirit for
revenge. The diary abruptly ends at this point, so, I couldn’t really tell what
happened to her later.
One day, mom unexpectedly told me: “It seems that our house had
always been a subject of town gossip”.
-
“Guess it’s normal, a
house that was abandoned for years, its dilapidated exterior and overgrown
garden gave it an eerie aura!”
When we first moved in, neighbors would often
share whispered tales of its former resident, Clara, a young woman who resided
for the occult to deal with her own traumas.
The first few nights were uneventful. I busied myself with
renovations, painting over peeling wallpaper, and fixing creaky floorboards.
But as the days turned into weeks, peculiar truths started unraveling.
One evening, as I was reading in the living room, a sudden
cold draft enveloped me. I checked the windows, but they were all shut tight. I
dismissed it as a quirk of the old house. But then, it happened again the next
night, and the night after that. Each time, the temperature would drop
suddenly, making the candles flicker and my breath visible in the dim light.
Suddenly I felt the hairs on my arm stand up. It started
subtly. A prickling at the back of my neck when I was alone, a shadow darting
just out of sight, a reflection that wasn't quite right in the old mirrors. I
tried to convince myself it was just my imagination, fueled by the stories the
neighbors had shared. But the whispers were harder to ignore. Soft, indistinct
murmurs that seemed to come from the walls themselves. They were most audible
late at night when the world outside was silent. I would strain my ears, trying
to catch the words, but they always remained just out of comprehension. One
night, as I lay in bed trying to sleep, the whispers grew louder, more
insistent. I could hear a woman's voice, tinged with sadness and desperation.
"Help me," it repeated over and over.
This whole thing is going to drive me crazy! But there is one
thing I can do. I felt an urge to delve into the history of the house. At the
local library, I found old newspaper clippings that spoke of Clara, the house's
last resident. She was a recluse, rarely seen outside, but rumors spoke of her
dabbling in dark rituals and séances. The articles hinted at a tragic event, a
ritual gone wrong, which had led to her sudden disappearance.
Connecting the dots, I realized that Clara had summoned a
spirit, perhaps to communicate with a lost loved one. Or this is what she thought?!
Definitely something had gone out of proportion, and the spirit had remained,
trapped within the confines of the house.
Armed with this knowledge, I had to convince my mom to seek
help from a local medium, Mrs. Hawthorne. It took me hours but at last, mom
agreed to conduct a séance to communicate with the spirit and, hopefully, set
it free.
The night of the séance was stormy, with lightning
illuminating the darkened rooms of the house, a perfect setting for a local
disaster. As seen in cheap horror movies, Mrs. Hawthorne set up a circle of
candles in the living room, the very spot where I'd first felt the cold drafts.
As she began to chant, the temperature dropped, and the air felt heavier. A presence
manifested as a hazy fog forming vague outline of a woman, her features twisted
in anguish. "Clara," she cried, "Why did you bind me here?"
Through the séance, we learned that the spirit was not Clara,
but a woman named Eleanor, whom Clara had inadvertently trapped during her
ritual. Eleanor had been trying to reach out, not to harm, but to seek help in
breaking the bond that held her. With Mrs. Hawthorne's guidance, we performed a
ritual to release Eleanor. As the final words were spoken, the spirit's form
brightened, transforming into a radiant figure before dissipating into the
ether.
The house on Maple Street had momentarily returned to a
semblance of normalcy after Mrs. Hawthorne's séance. The cold drafts had
ceased, the eerie sensations had diminished, and the whispers had quieted. I
began to breathe easier, believing that the spirit of Eleanor had been set
free.
However, a few days later, I received an urgent call from Mrs.
Hawthorne. Her voice, usually calm and composed, trembled with unease. "I
need to see you," she said, "There's something we missed."
That evening, I found myself once again in the dimly lit
living room of Mrs. Hawthorne's home, surrounded by the familiar scent of
burning sage. She explained that she had conducted another séance, unrelated to
my situation, but during the ritual, a spirit had come forth with a dire
warning.
The spirit revealed that the entity we believed to be Eleanor
was, in fact, a demon in disguise. It had manipulated the séance, feeding off
our emotions and intentions, using them as a conduit to strengthen its hold on
the Maple Street house and its inhabitants.
Mrs. Hawthorne's face grew pale as she recounted the spirit's
message. "It's a trickster, a deceiver. It lured us into believing we had
set Eleanor free, but in reality, we've only deepened its roots in your
home."
The realization was chilling. The temporary peace we had
experienced was merely the calm before the storm, a ruse to lull us into a
false sense of security.
Determined to rectify our mistake, Mrs. Hawthorne devised a
plan. We would conduct another séance, but this time, she would call upon her
most trusted spirit guides, beings of pure light and energy, to aid us in
confronting and banishing the demon.
The night of the ritual was tense. As we sat in the circle,
candles flickering, I could feel the malevolent presence of the demon,
watching, waiting. Mrs. Hawthorne began chanting, her voice rising and falling
in a rhythmic cadence. The room grew colder, shadows twisting and turning on
the walls.
Suddenly, with a deafening roar, the demon manifested before
us. It was no longer the gentle apparition of Eleanor but a monstrous entity,
its form constantly shifting, its eyes burning with malice.
Mrs. Hawthorne's spirit guides appeared, surrounding the
demon, their radiant forms contrasting starkly with its dark, malevolent
presence. A fierce battle of wills ensued, the room shaking, objects flying, as
the two forces clashed.
Hours seemed to pass before the demon, weakened and
outnumbered, began to retreat. With one final, ear-piercing scream, it was
forced out of the house, banished to the depths from whence it came.
Exhausted but triumphant, Mrs. Hawthorne and I sat amidst the
aftermath of the battle. The house on Maple Street was finally free from the
demon's grasp. But the experience served as a stark reminder of the thin veil
between our world and the unknown, and the dangers of underestimating the
forces that lurk in the shadows.The old Victorian house on Maple Street, once a
playground for a vengeful spirit, was now our sanctuary. And while life outside
moved on, within those walls, we found love, warmth, and countless happy
memories.
.jpeg)
.jpeg)

Comments
Post a Comment